Sunday, February 5, 2012

Perspective


NIKI:
20 miler done!  Hard and hot...this weather is so unpredictable.  For this run we were planning on running 2-10 mile loops.  I really dislike running loops but we rarely do them so I figured it might be a nice change.  On top of running 20 miles and running loops I had been thinking and praying all week about what I might write about for this entry.  I must confess...I'm not a writer!  I actually dislike writing more than running loops!!!  So I've been asking God to give me something to write about with one condition...no more suffering or tragedy...I just wanted Him to give me something meaningful with no strings attached.  HA--I laugh as I write this at how ridiculous I am giving conditions to the Creator of the universe!!!  Well, He came through...of course with me suffering while running the loop...I am such a mess.

At mile 10 we were not quite back to our starting point so we decided instead of continuing forward we would turn around and run the loop backwards.  As we turned around I realized that we had just run down a long hill with the wind at our backs and now we had to run back up it with the wind in our faces.  At that moment the word "perspective" came to my mind (it's funny when you are running that downhills never seem so "down" until you turn around and run them UP nor do tailwinds feel like wind at all until you turn around and have headwinds in your FACE) and immediately these verses from Romans came to mind, 

"33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of GodHow unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways34 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORDOR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR35 Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN ? 36 For from Him and through Him and to Him are all thingsTo Him be the glory foreverAmen"  

I was reminded of my limited perspective while struggling up the hill with the wind in my face...this same hill I had just run down.  And I reflected on how this compared to my life, my everyday life, my life to this point and my limited perspective I have in this life.  My life is not at all what I would have planned--widowed at 31 years old with 2 young children!  But I also wouldn't have agreed to turn around if I would have known that I would be running into the wind and uphill!  I had to laugh as I was struggling up that hill.  I had a smile on my face and a song in my heart.  I was smiling because He did what I asked...gave me something to write about.  And singing praises to Him in my heart for doing it His way...His unfathomable way.  So I praise Him for teaching me about perspective, for reminding me that mine is limited and for getting Lisa and I through another long run.

Starting our 20 miler
Still happy at 5 miles
Niki happy, Lisa no so happy at 10

15 down and 5 to go

Done!













No comments:

Post a Comment